Requires Unity 4.3.1 or higher.
Swift Shadows is a lightweight substitute for Blob Shadow Projector, heavily optimized for mobile devices. It works by a raycast to surface and drawing a transparent quad that hovers above it. Literally hundreds of shadows can be drawn on a mobile device with a single draw call.
Ever needed shadows, but Blob Shadow Projector and built-in shadows were too slow? Then this is the plugin that'll come in handy.
- Blazing fast. And I really mean it.
- All shadows in the scene can be drawn in a single draw call.
- Supports shadow texture atlases.
- Tons of customization options.
- Shadows match object transform.
- "Static" shadows that are calculated only once and produce no overhead in run-time.
- Ease of use, absolutely no scripting required.
- Shadow generator tool for creating nice looking shadows automatically.
- Sprite packer tool for easily packing multiple shadow textures into one to reduce the amount of drawcalls.
- Works on any platform. Heavily optimized for mobile.
- Unity 4.3.x – 5.x versions are supported. Pro license is not required.
Forum discussion thread
There are no recommendations for this package.
2 years ago
This review was submitted for a previous version of the package.
With Swift Shadows I was able to use the inbuilt Shadow Generator to easily create the shadow texture without having to use photoshop. This tool also has a nice blur feature to adjust the edge of the shadow.Very easy to use. Great support. Delivers everything advertised.
Thanks, much appreciated!
1 year ago
I am using it for a vehicle driving game. On road sometimes clipping occurs if road isn't planar and have bumps or grades. But on terrain it looks really bad.I was really amazed after testing terrain demo, and bought the asset, but it doesn't work that way.In terrain demo they've made a secondary camera to workaround clipping, shadow and player is always on top because of drawing order of camera. (by top I mean they are drawn in front of every other objects) In my game it looked really bad because objects enter between camera and vehicle(or shadow) And still vehicle needs to be drawn 1st if I want to use 2nd camera.You will probably not be able to use that 2nd camera option in terrain demo, just buy this asset knowing that. However, i was going to add blob shadows these days, and I am happy with this asset, it has done everything for me. And I suggest you this. Just ment to warn you against that demo.
Thanks a lot for this review! I guess I really need to clarify that moment a bit in the demo to not give some illusions about what this plugin is capable of doing. Thanks for pointing this out. Still, the double camera setup is usable in some situations, so it makes sense to demonstrate that it is possible.
performance really good and the Shadow Generator is really great addition.had a bit problem with setup since the default shadow color is black and had to turn it white, took me some time to figure it out... beside that really good asset!